Wednesday 28 January 2015

Called to serve, wherever and whoever we are.

About 2 years ago I was called by a prophet to serve in the England Manchester Mission (aka. the best mission in the world). Accepting that call letter was one of the most exciting things in my life. I remember the confirmation that I got in my mind that this was the right thing and the right place.

At the beginning of my mission I really struggled. I felt so inadiquate. I felt so incapable. And I had many many converstations (more sobbing on my side than conversing) with my dear Mission President, Robert Preston, who tried to cheer me up. Through lots of study and prayer and some great missionaries and members, I started to feel comfortable being a missionary and I decided to move on from the homesickness that I have felt. I was blessed again to serve with wonderful missionaries, in wonderful wards. Of Course my mission wasn't easy at all. In fact I probably faced more discouragement than success. Or so I thought.

Before I came home, I thought I was ready to be a member missionary. I was so ready to receive a calling, to go visiting teaching and to just be a mormon Superhero. I was ready do find out what I want to study, I was
ready to bring all my friends and family to church, I felt like I was going to be so pumped with the Spirit, that nothing would bring me down.

In reality, I found that my social skills have stayed in the mission field and left me socially awkward, I have learned, that it is so nice to stay in bed and just have a day off. I have felt that I have completed my service for the Lord and that I could rest. That local missionaries were in charge now and i could  take a step back and just watch.

Well then my dear bishop called me into his office and asked me to be a ward missionary. Honestly my first thought was: "Seriously?" But it was exactly what I need. It is exactly what I need. Whenever we are called to serve, we are challengend. Wherever we serve, we are needed. Whatever our responsibility is is of importance to our God.

I bear my witness, that serving the Lord with all our heart, might, mind and strength (D&C: 4:2) will bless our own life and the lives of those whom we are in charge of. I know that sometimes we feel inadiquate and unqualified, but the Lord doesn't call the qualified, he qualifies the called!

#Onceamissionaryalwaysamissionary




1 comment:

  1. D & C has fantastic blessings. It first takes "desire" then it takes "faith" The greatest tool we have is prayer. Withdesire and faith, it really only requires 2 things. "Love" and a "testimony" The gospel is the jewels and there is more than enough for everyone. The more we share the more we find to give. Missionary work really is sharing the love of Jesus Christ. I love Moroni 7:44-48. I love the promise " Charity. (The pure love of Christl never faileth. I a,so love verse 48. It tels us how to have that love. It requires us to pray with all energy of heart..... (I still have a lot of work to do...but it makes me happier person.

    ReplyDelete