Sunday 25 January 2015

Agency


Those who have grown up with me know that I find it hard to use my agency for the bigger decisions in my life. One of my most used phrases in life is: "Why can't YOU make that decision for me?" It is because making decisions, choosing every day, is a heavenly principle and a lesson that our Father in Heaven wants us to learn here on earth.

Before this earth was, there was a council in heaven about the plan of Salvation. President Ezra Taft Benson said:

"The central issue in that premortal council was: Shall the children of God have untrammeled agency to choose the course they should follow, whether good or evil, or shall they be coerced and forced to be obedient? Christ and all who followed Him stood for the former proposition—freedom of choice; Satan stood for the latter—coercion and force "

We learn that a third of God's Spirit children went with Lucifer. Can you imagine letting a third of your children go? I certainly can't. Yet to a perfect loving Heavenly Being, agency was important enough to loose so many children. So the next time you or I ask the question: "Why can't YOU make that decision for me?" let us think about how important it is for us to make them.

In the end agency allows us to choose the life we want. It determines our future. If we make good choices, we reap what we sow.

We do need to remember though, that God's love for us is eternal. It will never go away, no matter what we do. The adversery likes us to think that if we live contrary to the commandments of God we can never ever return. We will never ever be worthy of God's love. But we are. We simply are.

This video is a great example of using agency. It has inspired me to never give up and to change, if I need to change. It has again reassured me that God lives, that he loves all of  his children and that he wants the best for us, even if we go astray at times.

http://www.mormonchannel.org/watch/series/his-grace/finding-your-purpose-in-life-does-faith-matter?cid=HPTH012215637

May we all remember our precious heritage.

#choosetheright

No comments:

Post a Comment